Writers Who Read #33
5 September 2021
by Douglas Stuart
Climax - what changed?
Shuggie Bain – Douglas Stuart
- Marketing: Coming of Age Fiction, Family Life Fiction, Literary Fiction, TV Movie & Game Tie-In Fiction
- Genre: Realistic Recent-Past Archplot Long-Form
- Word count: 155,280; avg. wds/sent.: 12.48
- Print Pages: 448
- Reading Level: Grade 7; Lexical Density: 49.01
- POV: multiple
- Publish date: February 11, 2020
- Publisher: Grove Press
- Sold By: Grove Atlantic, Inc.
- Audio book narr.: Angus King (17 hrs, 30 mins)
- Awards: 2020 Booker Prize; Finalist, 2020 National Book Award
- Recognition: A Best Book of 2020: NY Times
- About Douglas Stuart
- Douglas Stuart was born and raised in Glasgow. After graduating from the Royal College of Art in London, he moved to New York City, where he began a career in fashion design. His work has appeared in the New Yorker and on LitHub. Shuggie Bain is his first novel.
- Writing teleplay for Shuggie
- Second novel, Young Mungo will be published in 2022